Temperature Control: Guide to Vaping
For those reading this who are experienced vape enthusiasts, you know that temperature plays a huge role in the vaping experience. Different heat settings have an effect on the vapors produced by oils or herbs.
There is also a large spectrum of possible vapor options that one has at their disposal when they are able to control the temperature of their vaporizer.
For those of you reading this who are not as experienced or who want to learn more about heat and its role in vaping, here is a temperature control guide to vaping.
What Is Temperature Control Vaping?
Temperature control vaping is not a type of vaping but rather a feature on a vaporizer. Temperature control gives you the option to change the power output on your device. It works by detected quick increases in temperatures. If it detects it hitting the output or temperature selected, it will cease to send more power.
Vaporizers that have this feature usually feature a display that show the power you selected. It also has buttons that give you the ability to accurately adjust your temperature upward and downward to your liking. Your device will stay at the temperature that you set it at in order to give you the vaping experience you want.
Vapes with temperature control
How Does It Affect Your Vaping?
As we stated earlier in the article, temperature plays a huge role in the quality of your vaping sessions.
For example, let’s consider dry herb vaporizers. Herbs vaporize differently at different temperatures. (Unlike oils, which typically vaporize at the same temperature. This is why you don’t tend to find temperature control on many dab pens and the like.) If you have an herbal vaporizer that doesn’t contain temperature control, you are going to only be able to experience your herbs at the settings that are available.
With temperature control vaping, you can experience the different vapor qualities of an herb past its typical vaporization temperature. This is why temperature control features are sought after by vape enthusiasts and why vaporizers with temperature controls are recommended more than vaporizers that have no temperature settings.
Here are a few benefits that come with using vaporizers that have temperature control features:
- Temperature control vaping gives you complete control over your vaping session. Both the vapors that are produced by the temperature changes as well as the energy given off by your vaporizer can differ.
- With temperature control, you won’t have to worry about ruining your device. The temperature control features will prevent your device from overheating and ruining the heating source, wick, or coil.
- Some vaporizers have a tendency to heat up very fast. This can be a problem if your device is not well-built or has a mouthpiece that is too close to the oven. It results in a difficulty to hold your vape or take hits without irritating your throat or lungs. Temperature control can make it better to cool down your vape and avoid these issues.
- Since temperature control prevents the heat of the device from ruining any internal parts. You also get to enjoy a longer vaporizer life because of this feature.
- Generally temperature control vapes don't come with replaceable coils since the heating source doesn't burn out. Unlike convection vapes, conduction chambers have coils that can easily burn out.
Temperature control is a very handy feature that has quite a few advantages. However, here are some of the drawbacks that you can expect to experience when using a vaporizer that has these features:
- Vaporizers that come with temperature control features tend to cost more than the average vaporizer. Although they may not be considered extremely expensive, they may be out of the price range of a vape enthusiast who is looking for a budget-friendly option.
- The quality of the clouds produced by temperature control vaporizers are not as impressive as those produced by devices without temperature control settings. This isn’t too big of an issue unless you are into large vapor clouds that is half mixed with smoke. The vapes that give off big clouds generally burn your herbs.
- Temperature control vaporizers tend to take up a lot more power than other vaporizers, which means that you probably won’t get as much usage out of a temperature control device. Still, you usually get a decent amount of time out of a temperature control vaporizer.
- Heat up time can take a bit longer than conduction vapes. With this in mind, it doesn't take that long to fully heat up. It can take anywhere from 15-60 seconds, depending on the device.
Dry Herb Vaporizer Temperatures
Let’s kick off this section by saying that there are a lot of conflicting viewpoints on the perfect temperature to vaporize different herbs at. Different vape enthusiasts prefer different temperature levels for their herbs. There will never be a straight answer regarding the question, what temperature is ideal for my herbs?
That being said, temperatures do affect the chemical structure and the type of feeling that your herbs provide. For example, let’s take a look at marijuana.
When marijuana is vaporized at temperatures higher than 392ºF, the feeling that it provides has more of an effect on your body rather than your mind. When marijuana is vaporized at temperatures between 356ºF to 392ºF, it produces the perfect vapor. The moisture and density can also make a difference.
Whichever herb you choose to vape, make sure to do your research beforehand. Vaping at the optimal temperatures of your dry herbs is one of the best ways to get the most efficient vapor.
Dab Pen Temperatures
Dab pen temperature settings generally require lower temperatures to get the most out of your vaping session and to release the flavors and effects within the marijuana concentrates. It is recommended by vape users that you heat your dab pen to at least 500°F or 260°C. You can reach higher temperatures while using a dab pen but the might be too harsh and the taste won’t be as great at much higher temperatures. Dab pens can also come in variable voltage where the temperature isn't displayed but the power output is in voltages.
Temperature control vaporizers are generally built with safety in mind. As long as you follow the directions that come with your device, you should be able to vape safely without experiencing any issues.
Choosing to build your vaporizer or modify an existing one can prove risky. If you want to build your own vaporizer, make sure that you do plenty of research to avoid any potential issues or hazards that could arise due to poor construction.
If you are a vape enthusiast who really wants to get the most out of your vaporizer, temperature control features can truly improve your overall sessions. Hopefully this guide has taught you a little more about temperature control vaping and what you need to do in order to make it work for you.